Thursday 14 November 2013

By the glow of candlelight


 Hi everyone!

      I was thrilled to win the 'What's your poison' at Frilly and Funkie. I have always loved their challenges and the DT creations are always so inspiring - so I was very honoured when I was invited to be Guest Designer there. The challenge this time is - 


...."As our thoughts turn to Christmas it's time to start thinking of cards, presents and decorations. So for this challenge we want to see a project that will be on your Christmas table or your Christmas tree. This could be a bauble, table decoration, napkins, table cloth or even crackers!"  

  
  

    I always decorate candles at Christmas, and I wanted to do something candle based...I considered doing Servietten technique, but after years and years of doing this it isn't really a challenge. So I found an old jar...I love recycling things. I had bought some gorgeous Nicecrane designs Christmas images last year (preparing early for this Christmas) and I thought they would be a lovely decoration for the jar.


    First I dabbed Snowflake Fresco paint around the top and bottom of the jar...Then I stuck the images on with the multi medium. I was going to cover the images too, but I was concerned about the ink running on the images so decided to leave it.

I dry brushed some Snowflake Fresco paint around the images to blend them into the white paint at the top and bottom of the jar...This also added a rustic shabby look to the vintage images.


   I then covered the paint with multi medium and covered the top and bottom of the jar with Rock Candy Distress glitter, which gave a lovely frosted snow effect.


I stuck some crochet lace around the top of the jar and wrapped a piece of twine around the lace, adding a 'JOY' charm to it.


 I tied a piece of tartan ribbon around the jar tying it into a bow. I glued some extra pieces of lace into the bow and added a rustic button which had been tied with hemp string.






        This was so easy to make and such a lovely way to use up those empty jars...Don't throw them away at this time of year. Print up some beautiful vintage images, tie on some lace, ribbon or even string and you will have a collection of beautiful decorations

       This looks gorgeous all lit up and I can't wait to add it to our decorations!

     I really hope you make some Christmas creation and come and join everyone over at Frilly and Funkie. You could be Guest designer there too if yours gets chosen as the winner - and remember there is always a $25 voucher for another lucky winner to spend over at the Funkie Junkie Boutique too!


           Thanks so much for being here, hope to see you all again soon!



     









Follow on Bloglovin

8 comments:

  1. Fabulous and a great idea Laura! Very clever use of those lovely images!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura...Love, love, love this xmas jar!!! The frosty effect looks spectacular on it too.
    Such a clever idea.
    Dot x

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is gorgeous, Laura. It looks so beautiful when lit!

    Lucy x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Saw this over at F&F and loved it.Nice to see it here in a bit more detail - great use of the Nicecrane image too. Hugs, Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! This is gorgeous! I love the way the light glows through the frosty image. It reminds me of a real Dickens Christmas scene. I am so inspired by this, Laura. I really must get cracking with Christmas! You have sparked the creative fire now all I need is some time! Julie Ann xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's lovely - but is Adam going to allow the glitter on the table? ;-) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll put it as far away from him as possible! He is grumbling about all my Christmas creations because I am in a bit of a 'glitter mania' mood right now....the kids wave everything in front of his face and he runs away shrieking! ;o) xxxxx

      Delete
  7. You do make the most beautiful candles I remember the last one, more JOY, when light it looks stunning all frosted, thanks for sharing..

    ReplyDelete

It is always lovely to see people visiting so I would love to hear from you. Please leave a comment for me - Thank you!