Tuesday 21 January 2014

Year of the Horse

It is the Chinese New Year on the 31st January and I decided to represent this time of year with the Try it on Tuesday challenge which wants you to create something about -

'Celebrations'


2014 is the year of the horse - and the first thing I had to do was figure out how to feature a horse on this hanging. I didn't have any horse stamps or digi-images so I decided to make an image myself!


  I drew quite an abstract representation of a horse!!! When I had marked out where all the swirls would be I drew over them with an embossing pen and sprinkled with UTEE. I then melted it and covered it with Old Gold Fresco paint.

  Then I began to try to make it looked like tarnished metal so I dry bushed French Roast Fresco paint all over it then began to brush it with White Fire and Classic Gold Treasure Gold.


     Now for the brights!!! I swiped some Spiced Marmalade and Festive Berries DS over the craft mat, spritzed with water and then did some wrinkle free distress on some card. When I got it to how I wanted, I cut it to size and then began to tear around where the horse was. The torn edges were inked with Spiced Marmalade DI.

I stamped a Chinese style stamp in Sepia Archival ink and then glued the card to the hanger.


The word 'celebrate' was taken from the chit-chat stickers and inked with Spiced Marmalade, Festive Berries and Walnut Stain DI.


Aged Gold Frantage was added to the edges of the hanger


Roses were covered in Spiced Marmalade and Festive Berries DS and so was some vellum strips that had Chinese symbols printed on them.



A die cut leaf was painted with Old Gold Fresco paint and then covered with crackle glaze and then French Roast Fresco paint was rubbed into the cracks.


When they were all stuck on the card I sprayed the whole thing lightly with Espresso Adirondack spray and then some Cosmic Gimmer mists in Ancient Copper and Tarnished Gold.


  Some rusty wire was twisted into a loop so that it can be hung up









Hope you like it! Why not make something to celebrate a special occasion? Come on over to Try it on Tuesday to see what the rest of the team have made to inspire you!

                    Hope to see you soon!

 photo temp3_zpsf37f8b2d.png
Follow on Bloglovin

13 comments:

  1. I love this! Sorry, I think I always say something unoriginal like that, but it's so true. You have really surpassed yourself Laura. I admire your resourcefulness in creating that beautiful horse; someone should create a stamp just like that. The rusted, warm and oriental look is fabulous. Not only is this ingenious, it is something beautiful that I would be proud to hang in my home. Well done you again! A work of exquisite skill and imagination. Julie Ann xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Two Magpie in a row :O), I too love everything you make, and this is no exception, it's brilliant, also I'm crazy about Asian anything, this is absolutely gorgeous, the horse is fantastic, the beautiful way you blended the colors, fabulous, the flowers are beautiful, the Gold Frantage, looooooove it, thanks for sharing Miss Laura, and have a wonderful week..

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow Laura, your stylised horse is fabulous! I love the background you created on the wonderful hanging too, the colours are gorgeous. Julie Ann is right, the horse should be made into a stamp. Hugs, Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loving you abstract style horse. Its a fantastic hanging.
    Yvonne

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura you are a wonderful artist and no image could be better than the one you made!
    Gorgeous!!!! Hope the kids are well!
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love your horse,it so suits the whole oriental theme of your tag. I so wish I could draw.
    Love
    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your horse is perfection in my eyes as I love the stylised appearance which is so beautiful against your background.
    Such a gorgeous hanging.
    Wishes
    Lynne

    ReplyDelete
  8. I usually do a zodiac new year tag, but not this year, and I'm so glad you did!!! That horse is absolutely the coolest! What a gorgeous tag!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The others are right, there is just something about the horse. Maybe you captured the essence of it. Anyway, love the embossing, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is just wonderful
    Rosie x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Laura, saw this first on the Admin pages and thought it was absolutely stunning. Love it! Hugs, Cindy x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love your horse. I think you captured spirit of horse. It fits perfectly with the oriental theme.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another outstanding project...your horse is fabulous and I admire your creativity!
    Hugs from Slovenia

    ReplyDelete

It is always lovely to see people visiting so I would love to hear from you. Please leave a comment for me - Thank you!