Sunday 15 June 2014

A Steampunk Challenge

Hi everyone!

    This is my first creation for Sandee and amelie's Steampunk Challenge.

    I am so proud to be there! - Thanks so much to Claudia for welcoming me onto her team! I look forward to experimenting with adding Steampunk twists to my usual shabbychic vintagey style.....it will be interesting to see where adding bits of industrial grunge will take me!

      The first challenge is 'Grey, Blue and Rust' and I loved working on this challenge! I decided to go with a canvas and see what happens - no plans, just fun! - which is the best way to work!



      I started by applying a bit of German text paper with matte multi medium over the canvas (lovely gift from Claudia!).


 I then dabbed some London Night, Lake Wanaka and Stone Fresco paint onto the craft mat and spritzed with water. I was applying with a sponge and didn't want it to apply too heavily, so diluting the paint slightly allowed me the freedom to build up the colour in layers.

     Soon the canvas was a grey/blue marbled effect and I made sure the text paper was still visible (it is all too easy to lose the text when applying paint layers).

    I then began stamping using some Artistic Outpost stamps - text and gears. I used Frayed Burlap DP, Chocolate Pudding Fresco paint, Cornflower Blue, Potting Soil and Watering Can Archival ink.









   I then dry brushed some Chocolate Pudding Fresco paint around the edges of the canvas along with blending some Vintage Photo DI. I sanded sown the canvas a little all over with a sanding block to reveal some of the canvas texture through the layers of paint.

 

Some bronze metal flowers were added



 A rusty heart was stuck onto the canvas. A chit chat sticker was dabbed with Faded Jeans DI and edged with Vintage Photo DI and applied to the heart.


     It looked a bit empty still, so I got some rusty wire and twisted it into a heart shape with random swirls and twists. A bronze gear was added to this mini heart wire sculpture.


   

   So there is my 'Grey, Blue and Rust' creation - I look forward to sharing many more Steampunk creations with you in the future! I hope you enjoyed it! Why not pop over to Sandee and Amelie's Steampunk challenges to see what the rest of the team have made and have a go yourself!
      
 photo temp3_zpsf37f8b2d.png
Follow on Bloglovin

11 comments:

  1. Beautiful, Laura!

    You know I love your shabbychic vintage style very much - and the steampunk twist you added to it with this beautiful canvas is the perfect match! Thank you for sharing all the lovely close-ups! I really enjoyed diving deep into your gorgeous creation!

    Welcome to our team! I am so happy that you are with us now!

    Hugs,
    Claudia x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exquisite, gorgeous etc! I love, love the colours and the rusty wire heart, inspired! You may just have tempted me to another challenge as I adore steampunk. Beautiful work Ruth x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful Laura,I love the way the text is still showing through and I love that rusty wire. A fab piece : )

    Hugs
    Donna x

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow, really beautiful, I love the great mini heart wire sculpture. A warmy Welcome in our very creative Team! Hugs, Kerstin x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous piece of work. I adore the background the effect is amazing. Anneke.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your use of the rusty wire on this canvas. You have brought your own, very special style to Steam-punk and the result is wondrous - as always! Julie Ann xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. I realy love this one. It all fits: the colors, the rusted pieces, the carater...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope you'll have loads of fun on the team - this is a cracking debut.
    Axx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Brilliant and stunnining details Laura, LOVE what you did with the rusty wire!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saw this over at SanDee and Amelie's steampunk challenge, very awesome LO! I was wondering wher you got the wire from? Amazing canvas!

    ReplyDelete

It is always lovely to see people visiting so I would love to hear from you. Please leave a comment for me - Thank you!