Tuesday 1 December 2015

Wish upon a Star

Hi everyone!

 It is a new Challenge at Our Creative Corner today! Our wonderful Trish is hosting her first ever challenge and she has chosen the perfect seasonal challenge for you....



My challenge to you all this month is a very simple one... 

Stars!

I have a passion for stars. Stars are incorporated into my email addresses, internet log ins, business name and even my tattoos :)
 
I would love for you all to share your creations, full of stars! 
 
Star stamps, star die cuts, star embellishments, star shaped backgrounds, it's up to you! 

Use lots, or just the one, as long as there is a star somewhere, you're good to go!

I can't wait to see all your wonderful creations!
 
 
**************************************
 
 
Each Christmas I try to find time to make a Christmas wreath but I have never got around to it. This year I had bought a pre cut circle wreath and was determined to make one....
 
Trish's challenge of using stars in our project seemed the perfect inspiration - why not make it entirely of stars?
 


   
I planned to use different size stars, patterns and texture...add some flourishes, fern, holly as added embellishments....

Should I add a splash of colour? At one point I was really tempted to add bright red to it but then I started to really adore the developing colour scheme of ivory, brown and gold...Making this was so much fun!



I knew not much of the circle would be seen, but I wanted the parts that would be seen to be crackled instead of plain.


The circle base was covered with Decoart Americana Acrylics in White Wash. Then a layer of Decoart Crackle Glaze was applied with a spatula. When the Crackle Glaze was dry Decoart Raw Umber Antiquing cream was applied before being wiped away with a damp cloth.

       I cut the stars by hand because I wanted rustic (wonky!) shaped stars rather than each shape be identical. I cut several sizes of stars and covered some with text paper


Some were covered with German Gothic font print


I added some pictures from french dictionary pages


Some were stamped with script


Some were stamped with images


Some were stamped with music 


I embossed some stars and covered them with White Fire Treasure Gold



Some stars were stamped and then covered with embossing powder...


I painted the holly leaves with Decoart Dazzling Metallics Champagne Gold acrylic paint (which is one of the BEST gold paints I have ever used!) and while the paint was wet I sprinkled them with Antique Linen Distress Glitter. It is already a gorgeous sparkling gold paint, but the glitter just added some extra dazzle and a beautifully delicate texture!


I covered the flourishes with Aged Gold Frantage embossing powder - I love that enameled effect


I covered the fern leaves with Aged Ivory Frantage embossing powder



Other foliage was covered with Ground Espresso Distress ink


I also added some holly leaves covered with Ground Espresso Distress ink


I lightly dabbed the edge of each star with Ground Espresso Distress ink before arranging the stars around the wreath.  Different sizes, shapes and colours were arranged randomly to emphasize contrast. I stuck them down layering until I was happy with the result. I added flourishes and foliage to the stars.


 I then added further decoration of 3D plastic stars that had been painted with Decoart Dazzling Metallics Champagne Gold acrylic paint. I must admit I LOVE this paint!....have I mentioned that already?


I covered some Grungeboard letters with gesso then coated with several coats of Decoart Dazzling Metallics Champagne Gold acrylic paint (of course!) This was followed with a coat of crackle glaze followed by Raw Umber Antiquing cream which was wiped away when dry to reveal the crackles. The word 'Noel' was added to the wreath along with an extra star added.


A bow made out of twine ribbon was added


A length of twine added to hang up the wreath


To add the finishing touch of an extra festive sparkle and a snowy, wintery shabby chic effect, I spritzed the entire wreath with Perfect Pearls Spray in Biscotti and some White Linen Dylusions spray.


I finally have my handmade Christmas wreath!


I hope you like it!

Please hop over to Our Creative Corner and see what my talented team have made to inspire you this month...

Why not get Star Struck and enter our Challenge this month!

Our wonderful sponsor this month is


Tando will send a parcel of goodies to the randomly drawn winner - it could be YOU!

You could be our winner and be invited to appear as our Top Talent!

You could be one of our Top 3

Come and shine at Our Creative Corner!

Happy Crafting!
Laura
xxxxxxxxxxxxx


Follow on Bloglovin

13 comments:

  1. Stunning wreath and a great idea fr the theme!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, every single star on this gorgeous wreath is deliciously saturate with mindblowing detail. It is simply exquisitie. I am always amazed and awed when someone is able to take a neutral palette and work it into something that is bursting with life and vibrance. This wreath is to die for - I would be scared that someone would steal it off my door because it is so beautiful. Trish, I am sure is well excited that her challenge theme is graced by the magnificent piece you have produced - I loved every part of it! - Hugs - Candice (aka Tincan Crafter)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! l love this Laura.... so much detail and such a gorgeous vintage feel! I think you definitely have the 'star' part covered! Wonderful project! Trish xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is truly gorgeous! I love the colors and varied backgrounds on each star! Simply beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A beautiful Christmas Wreath, Laura! I love all the different textures you gathered here, and the tones you chose. I chose the same ones for my creation and it's fun to hear you wondered if you had to add red: that's exactly the question I had too! But it's just wonderful like it is!

    ReplyDelete
  6. BEYOND FABULOUS!!! Pinned! I want this for myself. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Breathtakingly beautiful. It quite literally took my breath away. Thank you so much for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. great wreath. love the colors and textures. pinned for later inspiration. thanks as always for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Laws!! I don't just like this starry wreath-- I LOVE IT!! I love the vintagey color scheme and all of those differently treated stars--Starific!! OK--I know you're decorating your house now and with all of your beautifully, handmade creations, I bet your place is looking like a winter wonderland!! You Go Girl!! Happy December & Merry Christmas to you and your Family!! CHEERS, Clink Clink!! XOXO-Shari

    ReplyDelete
  10. Stunning! What a brilliant idea! Chrisx

    ReplyDelete
  11. STUNNING Laura !!! I just love everything about your wonderful wreath - the colours, the textures, all the individual stars. Please throw it my way when you get fed up with it ! Jennie x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Sorry I'm so late to the party but I had to drop by and say WOW!! I love all the textures, the palette and different finishes on your stars. Stunning Laura. xxxx

    ReplyDelete

It is always lovely to see people visiting so I would love to hear from you. Please leave a comment for me - Thank you!