Monday 6 July 2015

A Tudor Lady

Hi everyone! 

     I bring you a piece of history today...remember last year and the mob caps and aprons

Well, this year my daughter got cast as a lady in a Shakespeare play and she requested a French Hood as part of her costume....Yes I know...we could discuss 'correct' fashions - but it seems the French Hood was popular for many years after the Tudors...

......and it looks so pretty....
......and my daughter wanted one....
......and I wanted to see if I could make one.......
......end of discussion!




     Sorry but I won't be writing in detail here how I made it....because I don't want to discuss blood in front of everyone - my hands felt like pincushions after three days of yelling "OOOooowwwwww" every five minutes! Blood, sweat and tears doesn't even cover the description of the pain (am I being too dramatic?) 

    I was close to swearing after I dropped the string of pearls for the fifth time and sent them scattering all over the floor! Several times I had to re-sew the crescent onto the hood because I was hopeless at sewing with a curved needle and I turned the air blue when I realised that after patiently waiting for the material to arrive for four days, the order never actually went through and had to be redone....oh disaster after disaster....

     Do you know what made it worth it? When my wonderful daughter tried it on and said "Mummy that is just so perfect"!

    I really don't need to tell how it was made here because I got all the details from this amazing website and you should check it out if you want to know how I made this gorgeous headress....Here are a few close ups










Had to be all lined too...!







     Well....it isn't too bad for a first attempt (though I really don't think there is much chance of doing a second!)

         Thanks so much for being here to see my Tudor Lady...

         Happy Crafting!

         Laura 
        xxxx
 
 
 
 




Follow on Bloglovin

6 comments:

  1. Awwwww it's SOoooooo cute! I'd say your pincushioned hands are almost worth it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting make Laura! And your daughter is so darn cute- she wears the hood perfectly! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely amazing Laura. Bet all the sweat, tears and pricked fingers were well worth it when your daughter said how much she loved it.

    Warm crafty hugs from Shirl x x x
    ShirlsCards.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Laura, this is simply beautiful!! Fabulous job on sewing this French Hood for your daughter! It is just so perfect!! Oh goodness, what will it be next year? ;) :) :) XOXO-Shari

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's perfect Laura, and how beautiful she looks!
    Axx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my gosh, your French Hood is just GORGEOUS!! Great job! You daughter looks so sweet in it! Congrats to her on being in the play!!! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete

It is always lovely to see people visiting so I would love to hear from you. Please leave a comment for me - Thank you!