Sunday 8 February 2015

Splash of Red


Hello everyone!
 At Fashionable Stamping Challenges we are featuring as our challenge....

Black and white with a hint of Red




I loved this challenge more than I thought I would - basically because it was trickier for me than I anticipated (and I do LOVE a challenge!)

I decided it would be best to stick to a CAS creation (as best I could) because the stark shades of black, white and red don't really go with a vintage shabby chic style.

I thought it would be fun to make a frame (LOL!) and I decided to make the picture out of four images...each one with a hint of red in them.

I began with the face...


I stamped a music sheet background and it was then that the quote "If music be the food of love, play on" came into my head...being close to Valentines why not have the word 'love' featured!

So I made the words out of Label Letters and attached them to the piece of card...

The next one was...


I made the background by stamping a damask background stamp by Artistic Stamper in Black Soot DI. The black and white pattern was too stark...so when the stamped pattern was dry I blended more Black Soot DI over the card to create a grey background.

The heart was a Paperartsy die cut that was trimmed and then painted with Fresco Blood Orange paint. When this was dry I covered the heart with Decoart One step crackle and then when the crackle had formed I covered the heart with Decoart Antiquing cream in white. When wiped away it leaves gorgeous white crackle lines.
The continuing part of the quote was added made up with Label Letters


The next one was...


Again this background was done the same as the previous one. The heart was cut out free hand after being painted with Fresco Blood Orange paint and stamped with a music stamp using Jet Black Archival ink.

 The word 'love' was added from Chit Chat stickers and was edged with Black Soot DI and a red enamelled rose was added.

The last square was.......



 This background was a Paperartsy script stamp stamped with Jet Black Archival ink. I then cut a piece of card and painted it with Fresco Blood Orange paint. I stamped over this with Picket Fence DP using an Artistic Stamper background stamp.

    The words 'Play on' were stamped with an alphabet stamp using Jet black Archival ink on white card which was then cut out and stuck onto card that had been heavily inked with Black Soot DI..

    The edges of the red card were dabbed with some Black Soot DI



 I then had to construct the frame - done very basically (as my frames always are) I had plenty of cardboard left over from Christmas and so I cut a huge piece out as a back for the picture. After sticking the four pieces of card on and making sure they were straight and neat, I constructed the frame

The frame was made from balsa wood, four strips were cut and stuck together to form a rectangle. It was then painted with gesso and to stop it looking too plain (I am so not a CAS artist - sorry!) I added some lace. This was then also painted over with Gesso







I would love it if you came over to see what the rest of the team have made to inspire you at Fashionable Stamping Challenges!


Remember we are a stamping challenge so please feature a stamped focal image on your creation.
  
You could be the winner of $20 to spend at Flonzcraft Stamps! And of course you could be picked as one of our Catwalk Spotlights!
Hope to see you there!


Happy Crafting

Laura
xxx


Follow on Bloglovin

10 comments:

  1. Absolutely beautiful Laura, I love this.
    Love
    Amanda x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic Laura! My eyes dancing around your make and looking for all beautiful details... red lips, quote and crackled heart! Superb!
    Best wishes from Slovenia

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh I think this is very shabby chic Laura! Especially with the frame and lace in white! The 'grey' background really makes the white ones pop, which looks awesome! All of it is so beautiful.
    Dot x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous Laura! I just love the layout with the contrasting patterns on white on black and black on white! Such an eye grabber of a piece! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fabulous Laura - 'you can give me excess of' work like this. Nikkii xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. An ingenious and inspiring make Laura, so much to see and love.

    Warm crafty hugs from Shirl x x x
    ShirlsCards.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous project Laura, I love all the elements and they combine perfectly. That crackle heart is stunning
    Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your frame is stunning Laura - so many beautiful details and techniques , love that crackled heart...Esther xx

    ReplyDelete
  9. What a fabulous make Laura! I love the quote- the red,black and White and your design is simply fab! You sure did rise to this challenge-well done! xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely, Laura!! I love your framed pieces and this Red, White & Black creation is stunning--I'm not partial because you're using some of my fav colors, either ;) :) LOL!! Just wonderful!! XOXO-Shari

    ReplyDelete

It is always lovely to see people visiting so I would love to hear from you. Please leave a comment for me - Thank you!