Hello everyone! Well, I am feeling slightly better and so decided to get back to some stampin' fun! Certainly better then moping around feeling sorry for myself.
I have been testing out my new stamps, with not much success but I am slowly learning how to achieve some good(ish) effects!
A few challenges right now are asking for Vintage style work. I adore that so began to work. First idea went really wrong (I won't divulge details as someone will probably be thinking "Noooo...You thought THAT would work?!!!") Well I know now that it doesn't work so we will move on.....!
I got some cream card and began stamping images from my Tim Holtz stamps collection - Butterfly, crown, postmark, chandelier, corners....and then I masked those images and stamped script text all over the piece of card. I used the only archival ink I had which was black....not an ideal choice as it would probably have been better to have a softer brown shade. Luckily it is an old ink pad and was quite dry so the effect it gave was quite lovely...muted in places and sharper in others. So luck was on my side there!
I loved the effect of the images and script so much that I made another tag at that point. Using images in the same place and masking them again but this time I was applying the script at angles and overlapping......Why make another one?.....well, just in case!
Both tags were then shaded with Antique Linen, Pumice Stone and Gathered Twigs. I now had two lovely vintage print tags - I was quite amazed!
Images......Hmmm.......I do have some lovely ones from Nicecrane designs. Beautiful pictures of Edwardian ladies. Then our printer, who is like a stroppy teenager at the best of times, decided that the black ink cartridge (which was half full) wasn't going to part with any ink. Then for good measure decided to hold onto the blue as well....so the pictures of the ladies are a not so nice bright orange.
Shopping before the challenge deadline wasn't going to happen so I had a look through my embellishment drawer. I found some lovely 1920's fashion images. Wasn't where I had planned to go but what wonderful serendipity! I adore 1920's fashion which is so elegant....and the Parisian post mark certainly then fits in with Chanel fashion - I was very happy!!!
So I cut out the images, inked them with Antique Linen and edged in Gathered Twigs. An empty locket was in my jewellery/beads pot and there was a lovely portrait to go in it.
I had another of the lovely metal attachments that I had used for the ATC challenge last year so that was attached to the top of the tag to hold the ribbon. I got some white satin ribbon that I dyed with the Stormy Sky ink to match the muted grey/blue of the card.
The card looked a bit 'flat' Bit hard to describe what I mean (wish I had taken photos of the construction of the tag to show you). Then I decided to use the other tag. I began to tear three sections from the 2nd tag and inked the torn edges with the Gathered Twigs DI. Then I stuck them over the identical parts of the original tag. Then I decided to add some flourishes in Gathered Twigs around the edges of the tag. I hoped this would have the effect of blending the torn strips in slightly to the original tag.
I had slightly distressed the edges of the tag (didn't want it too raggedy as this would ruin the elegant style I hoped I had captured) and added Gathered Twigs DI over the edges.....I think adding the strips did work and the tag now looked far more vintage and, for want of a better word to describe what I was seeing, less 'flat'!
Hope you like it - If you do please leave me a comment! I would love to know what you think.
I am entering this in to the following challenges -
Simon says stamp and show - Embrace the old
Vintage Stamping Challenge - Vintage
DL.ART Thankful Thursday - Anything goes
kaboodle doodles - Vintage
Incywincydesigns - Something new (All the stamps used are new)
Fashionable stamping challenges - Surprise us
The Artistic Stamper - Your favourite stamp (script)
Live and love crafts - Something old
Craft your passion challenges - Vintage/Shabby chic