Saturday 19 January 2013

Lace and Roses


   Hello everyone! Hope everyone is warm and comfortable in this snowy weather! Grab a hot cuppa and join me in talking Lace and Roses....not a very winter subject I am afraid, but perhaps it will take our minds off the icy weather outside...

    'Simon says' is Lace Love this week. I was sure I had some lace somewhere but do you think I could find it? I hunted everywhere!...then I glanced at the very top shelf of my art cupboard (where I keep all the "Will do it later/ never do it/ try to do it sometime" stuff and the also the seasonal bits and pieces) There was a box which had 'Christmas' written on it - could I have put it in there?

   Yes I did!!....so I had lace - Well, that was a good start at least. 

I had mentioned in a previous post about the bad tempered printer we own and it's habit of printing nothing at all or terrible orangey pictures....I had nagged my poor husband to fix the printer and bless him -he  sat struggling with it for ages. I am happy to say that in the end the printer lost the battle and agreed to quit behaving badly and produce some prints...the quality isn't superb - some horizontal bands which are there despite all the alignments and ink checks and nozzle cleaning.....but it is a good compromise (seeing as all prints before were not usable - unless I wanted a picture of an Oompa-Loompa) and I managed to print out a LOT of printables.




   So the first thing - I obviously wanted vintage - so I chose a Victorian photo - they are so beautiful. I found it hard to choose one.


 The background of the tag was inked with Antique Linen, Victorian Velvet and Walnut Stain giving a lovely antique rose marble effect. Then I began to select various printed images - cut or torn, inked with Antique linen around the edges to cover the harsh white of the cut or torn edges.


A printed lace doily and a music sheet




    A receipt with a gorgeous picture of flowers and leaves at the bottom. 
These were grey so I painted them with Victorian Velvet and Bundled Sage DI's. The white smudges are from glue resisting the DI...I found this accidentally using Mod Podge paper on paper glue and realised, while this can be a mistake to have this 'smudge' on some items of craft work, for a distressed vintage look it can work quite well.




    I stamped some script in the corner with Pumice stone DI



I edged the photo with the lace and I inked the lace with Antique Linen DI to give it a more antique look.




I adore old music sheets, postcards etc so I had to include these printables which were distressed with Antique Lined and walnut stain inks.




Because I had included two music sheets I thought this was an appropriate quote and I loved that it was in the style of an old ticket



I formed three paper roses into a bouquet with some curled wire that had some Forest Moss DI ink smudged on it. One rose was left natural while the other two were stained with Victorian Velvet and Antique Linen DI's. The stems were wrapped in twine which was tied into a bow.



I attached another pink dyed rose below the ribbons attached to the top of the tag


The ribbon was dyed with Victorian Velvet DI. I added scrolls stamped with Walnut Stain and embossed in each corner of the tag. I then distressed the edges of the tag and inked with Walnut Stain DI.


So there is my Lacy floral Victorian tag. Hope you liked it -

Please leave a comment if you are passing my blog and decided to have a look - I would love to know you were here......

.......and if you liked what you saw, why not click 'Follow' and come back and see more projects in the future. It would be lovely to have you join me in this wonderful crafty blogland!

 See you very soon!



I am entering this into the following challenges -

Frilly and funkie  - Follow your Muse (vintage)














12 comments:

  1. Amazing Victorian Tag Laura,,,,,,,love the vintage effect and the incredible back,,,,,,,,,.very well done my friend,,,,,,,Love the pack of different vintage papers to create these stunning back , and the girl pict is amazing,,,,,,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your collaged tag is so lovely, Laura. I love that vintage photograph that you've used to be your focal point. That young girl is lovely. Your soft sepia tones of the different papers you've used to collage around her really makes her stand out. The sweet laces and doilies are perfect feminine embellishments! I also love the small little bouquet of flowers and the pink ribbon. Really a lovely creation! Thanks for sharing it with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  3. this has such a beautfoul and soft vintage feel. the image you have used is beautiful , lovely make! Trace x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Laura this is sooooooo pretty! Wouldn't it make a simply lovely birthday card? ;-)
    Gilx

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty... feminine and romantic, and deliciously vintage! Love the little bouquet.
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful crafting in your tag Laura. Love the little bouquet. Nicola x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the distressing/layering of your vintage ephemera and the lines on the image of the girl had me thinking it was printed on fabric. Overall a beautiful and very feminine piece. Hugs, Jenny x
    Thanks for joining us at Frilly and Funkie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is stunning! Thanks so much for joining us at Simon Says Stamp and Show this week! - Ashli :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yay Laura! Congrats on your win of the $50.00 credit voucher at Simon Says Stamp and Show's Lace Challenge! Have fun spending that $. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  10. Way to go Laura!!! Huge congrats on your win:) You HAVE to keep going now! Hugs, Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautiful vintage tag! Yay for winning at SSS!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations on your win! What a lovely piece! She is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete

It is always lovely to see people visiting so I would love to hear from you. Please leave a comment for me - Thank you!