Hello everyone - Hopefully a quick blog post today (I'll try to keep the waffling to a minimum!)
I just wanted to show you what I made for the Frilly and Funkie 'Spruce it up' challenge'
I was instantly tempted by this challenge as I have been meaning to decorate one of my sets of drawers in my craft cupboard for ages - and this challenge pushed me forward to do it!....It was a long process, well, longer than I normally take, but I think it was worth it. Only problem is, now I want the drawers to store trinkets and treasures instead of ribbons and paint!
Then my daughter decided (when she was about 3 or 4) that the decoration could be improved and set about doing her own design.......
My son has added his own decorations (not wanting to be left out....)
So it was time to turn it into something nice (hopefully) -
First I re-stained the outside of the drawers....it was marked and faded so it needed a new cover of deep mahogany stain.
I wanted frames for the labels on the drawers so Alison very kindly cut some for me. I took ages trying to choose between a tarnished silver or bronze....I tried out both but silver won in the end....though I wonder now whether it was just my new crackle paint that scored the extra points for being more fascinating to use than Burnt Sienna acrylic paint!
Cream coloured card was inked with Antique Linen and Pumice Stone DI's and stuck to the back of the frames. Antique style metal brads were added
I still don't like my handwriting but the alphabet stamps I have weren't right for this and I had no other way of doing the words (printer not working again!) So the handwriting had to do!
I wanted Roses and Lace to decorate the now paper covered drawer fronts. I didn't have enough of the right size flower shapes so I drew around the one that I had and then cut them all out by hand. I inked them with Antique Linen DI and then dabbed around the edges with Victorian Velvet DI.
Each flower was then constructed (for a step by step explanation on how to make these - click here)
I covered three drawers with brown shades of paper and three with pink shades. All were very antique, vintage style papers but I added some extra distressing with Gathered Twigs DI and sanding after each layer of Mod Podge
The brown drawer fronts all had lace die-cuts at the tops and the pink drawers had roses and leaves.
This paper was very plain so I stamped flourishes around it in Gathered Twigs DI
So here is the finished set of drawers
I hope you like it! Bit of a change from my usual tags!!! I'd love to know what you think, so if you have the time to spare please leave me a comment....
I am entering this into the following challenge -
Frilly and Funkie - Spruce it up