Tuesday 1 March 2016

Return of the Challenge

                          
Hi everyone!

 It is my turn to run the challenge over at Our Creative Corner this month!

We are taking a trip down memory lane for this challenge! 

I would like you to re-visit a challenge that has been featured at OCC since June 2013

I have decided to shorten the list of challenges a little by leaving out seasonal challenges and some very recent ones - so please select a challenge from the list featured here.

Any entry that is not a challenge from this list will not be included in the Random.org prize draw and will not be selected as Winner or Top 3.

So please make sure you select a challenge from this list!

Please state what challenge you chose 

So click the link - reacquaint yourself with the rules of the challenge you want to do and have fun!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


I decided to re-visit the challenge run by our wonderful Claudia who set a Steampunk Tic Tac Toe Challenge in November 2013!

I loved this challenge the first time round when I made this....using the line Wings, Gears and Wire


Looking at the grid again I was spoilt for choice....

                               


I decided to go for the center line and work with - Flourish, texture and a heart...

and here is what I made....


I have always been a 'hint of Steampunk' person...rather than diving into the whole industrial grunge look (which I adore by the way, I just find it hard to do) I tend to make it slightly more feminine...so that is why the heart and flourish appealed.

I began with embossing some card - the first elements of texture. I used the Sissix Texture Fades Diamond plate and Riveted Metal Embossing folders. The texture on the heart vanished in the rust treatment, but the background for the tag still shows through


I began to do some rust treatment on the embossed card to add extra texture. First applying Decoart Media Sand Texture Paste, leaving this to dry then painting it with Decoart Media Paynes Grey Fluid Acrylic Paint mixed with white acrylic paint. 

Then when this was dry I covered it with a wash of Decoart Media Paynes Grey Fluid Acrylic Paint 

This was followed by dabbing it with Decoart Media Quinacridone Gold Fluid Acrylic Paint.
 I apply it in varying levels if thickness and in some places I dry brush it. This gives a very realistic rust finish.


I did the same process with the heart, but made the rust much thicker.


I cut a large flourish using a die cut and then cut it into pieces. I covered each flourish piece with Decoart Media Sand Texture paste. Then when this was dry I coated it with Carbon Black acrylic paint before applying a coat of Ultra matte Varnish - which really highlights the texture


I cut a piece of patterned paper from a Prima set and knocked back the lettering detail - with a diluted wash of white acrylic paint


Then I dabbed Decoart Media Burnt Umber Fluid acrylic paint around the edges with a sponge and stamped over it all with a crackle stamp using the Burnt Umber paint

Black brads were used to attach the paper to the tag


The heart was positioned on the tag with the flourish elements around it.



Chit chat stickers were arranged on the heart


Additional strips of embossed card were added to the top and bottom of the tag along with bronze brads to add layers...



And there it is...My steampunk Tic Tac Toe card made using
the center line 'Flourish, Texture and a Heart'.




I hope you will join in with us at Our Creative Corner this month with your creations from the past!
Our sponsor this month is...


Artistic Outpost will be donating a $15.00 gift certificate to our randomly drawn to spend at their online sister-store Our Daily Bread Designs, where Artistic Outpost resides.

Definitely a prize worth winning!


*************************************

Why not enter and you could be our winner chosen at random! 

You could be our Top Talent at Our Creative Corner and you could get picked as one of our Top 3! 

So many ways to win but you got to be in it to win it!

Happy Crafting!
Laura
xxxx





Follow on Bloglovin

4 comments:

  1. This looks like it has just been pulled out of a 50 years old buried time capsule Laura!! It is AMAZING. Your rust techniques look so real and the crackle stamp was the perfect addition too. Your florishes are placed perfectly and their texture is just yummy. This is the most GORGEOUSLY LUSCIOUS grungy rusty crackled ancient looking STEAM PUNKISH FLOURISH HEART TEXTURE creation I have ever seen! LOVE IT. PLUS... I just have to say that your pendant from the past challenge is really FABULOUS too. XXj.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Laura, amazing textures and colours and love how you have seamlessly married the industrial feel with the feminine hearts and flourishes. Gorgeous! Deb xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your feminine steampunk style, Laura! Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you thank you for sharing your rusting technique! This is so helpful as I needed it for an upcoming project. I had decided I would mix coffee grounds, embossing powder and texture paste, but sand and fluid acrylic is brilliant! Hugs, Autumn

    ReplyDelete

It is always lovely to see people visiting so I would love to hear from you. Please leave a comment for me - Thank you!