I can't wait for Springtime to get here!
So I thought I would make a spring themed creation - but with nothing in the garden here yet to inspire me - I went a bit grungy instead!
I started with a piece of mount board and painted some Decoart Media Gesso over it as a base. I applied it quite thickly, making sure brushstrokes could be seen and that they all were going in the same direction...The intention was to make the base look like a wood effect....
Then I applied some Decoart Media Crackle paste through a TH Lattice Stencil. At the edges of the stencil I scraped some more paste, randomly dabbing or wiping it down the edges of the board
When this was dry I mixed some Carbon Black and Raw Umber Decoart Antiquing cream together and applied this all over. I love both colours but I find the Raw Umber a bit too pale at times and the Carbon Black too grungey...so here I was going for a soft black instead and gained the best of both colours.
When dry I wiped it away with a damp cloth. I prefer to use a cloth spritzed with water as then you are able to remove the excess gradually - I find a baby wipe can wipe a bit too efficiently and before you realise it there is barely any effect left!
The cream stayed in all the crevices of the stencil and highlighted the gesso brush streaks perfectly....
The crackle paste gives such a wonderful effect...and is perfect to apply through a stencil...
I wanted to capture the effect of some garden furniture left to the elements...so a peeling paint/rust/weathered look.....
So around the edges I began to dab some Decoart Media Texture Paste. When dry I painted over it with Paynes Grey Decoart Media Fluid Arcylic Paint mixed with white acrylic paint. Then I gave this a wash of Paynes Grey and then a coat of Qinacridone Gold. I wanted an even more aged effect, so I covered it with Patina Green Antiquing Cream before wiping away - leaving a tinge of Patina on the rust.
After this was done the whole hanging got a coat of Ultra Matte Decoart Varnish - which lives up to it's name - it gives a totally matte coating and removes any sheen from the paint...this makes the rust even more effective
I decided to put the word 'Spring' on the hanging and used some letters from a TH paper pad.
The flowers were from the Tattered Floral die cut set and I cut several sizes, then I got to work making them up...
This one was made by bathing the flowers in a wash of Squeezed Lemonade DI mixed with water. Then the larger flower was dabbed with some Scattered Straw DI before both flowers were 'grunged up' with a smudge of Pumice Stone DI.
The center of the flower was a metal brad coated in gesso, followed by a coat of yellow acrylic paint before having a bit of Rock Candy Distress Glitter sprinkled over.
This flower was dabbed with Tattered Rose and Pumice Stone DI. A blob of Decoart Liquid glass was squeezed into the center of the flower before having some Tea Dye Distress embossing powder sprinkled over the top.
This daisy effect flower was left uncoloured except for dabbing around the edge with Worn Lipstick DI. The center was made by the same way as the first flower...
The leaves were bathed in Shabby Shutters DS and when dry the large leaves were coated with Decoart One Step crackle glaze. When this was dry I dabbed the leaves with Gathered Twigs DI
Just to finish it off I added some chit chat stickers
And added rusty wire to make the hanger
And there is my (Grungy) Spring Hanger
Thanks so much for being here today!