Wednesday 1 October 2014

Going Rusty

Hi everyone! WOW....October already? Where is the year going?

      Hope everyone is in a rustic Autumn mood?....because that is exactly what we are challenging you to come up with over at Our Creative Corner this month!

    

I really love Autumn and find it very inspiring with all those textures and colours we see in nature right now.  So I decided to bring those textures and colours into a challenge here and see all that rustic creativity here at Our Creative Corner!

 We want to see a huge variety of items here, so make anything you like, but add some RUST!

Now you can take this Rust-ic creativity to any level you like - You can use just some rusty autumnal colours or you can really go for it and work with gorgeous, rough textured, grungy, real or faux rust. 

So.....How 'rusty' are you?....


This is how rusty I am....!!!


I ADORE rust! I love everything about it and I also love how varied it can be. It doesn't have to be just the coppery brown effect. I wanted to capture the varied colours of rust for my creation.

    I decided to decorate a large MDF heart. I cut an oval out of thick card and used that as a template for the center. Around it I applied a thick layer of texture paste. I lifted out the oval and began to add swirls and texture to the paste.


 When dry I painted it all with Chocolate Pudding Fresco Paint. I then spread a very thin layer of crackle glaze over the oval and then when that was dry I covered it with a thick layer of Guacamole and Bora Bora Fresco paint. I then dry brushed the edges of the oval with Chocolate Pudding Fresco Paint and Decoart Traditions Red Oxide paint.


The letters were grungeboard alphabet covered with Decoart Crackle Paste and then covered in Decoart Traditions Transparent Red Oxide paint.


 They were then stuck to the heart and then covered with Decoart Media Antiquing cream in Patina Green and English Red Oxide. These were wiped away slightly with a baby wipe when dry.


Then they had some Guacamole Fresco paint dry brushed over them
 

I began to build up rusty looking effects over the texture paste. I added many, many, many layers before it looked 'right'....The colours I used were  -
Fresco Paint
Chocolate Pudding
London Night
Guacamole
Bora Bora 
Decoart Traditions 
Quinacridone Gold 
 Transparent Red Oxide
Decoart Media Antiquing Cream
Patina Green 
English Red Oxide


The flowers were tiny die cuts that were covered with Guacamole and BoraBora Fresco paint and were dabbed with a little Quinacridone Gold Decoart Traditions paint. They were then covered in Decoart One Step crackle before being inked with Walnut Stain Distress ink to highlight the crackle.


I couldn't resist adding some actual rusted items too - a key and some of my favourite rusted wire....



So that is how 'rusty' I am!!!



     I do hope you will come along and join us this month at Our Creative Corner!

You could be our October Winner and feature as our Top Talent! You could be one of our Top 3 or you could even be the lucky winner of the $25 voucher to spend at the Funkie Junkie Boutique!




 photo temp3_zpsf37f8b2d.png
Follow on Bloglovin

10 comments:

  1. Stunning Laura, love your make! Amazing textures and colours, - this takes going rustic to a whole new level, love it!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely rustastic Laura! The close up images show the wonderful textures and effects you've created. I love the blue patina tinge and all the gorgeous crackle too. A real beauty. Hugs, Juliaxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness! This is divine, Laura!

    Heavenly crackle and texture and the colours are an explosion of rusty goodness too! Wow! LOVE this!

    Hugs,
    Claudia xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow stunning rustic heart, love the colors and the crackled look of it!
    Groetjes Karin

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such cool textures and layers of colour - fab!
    Axx

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are very rusty indeed, Laura! :) Your layers of texture paste and paint and crackle make this heart plaque beat with rusty goodness! Such a lovely inspiration piece for this month's OCC challenge! XOXO-Shari

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely fabulous textures & colours!

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow this is just gorgeous!!! I just had to come over and give it a closer look!!! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your use of rust on this make, Laura. Everything is just blended so perfectly. Julie Ann xxx

    ReplyDelete

It is always lovely to see people visiting so I would love to hear from you. Please leave a comment for me - Thank you!