Monday 1 July 2013

Sugar and Spice

Welcome to another Our Creative Corner challenge!

    This month we have the wonderful Funkie Junkie Linda bringing us 'Captured Memories'....

      This is such a wonderful challenge - almost an 'Anything Goes'.

Bring us any creation - Tags, Altered art, mixed media canvas, cards, ATC's anything at all.....as long as it contains a PHOTOGRAPH! This can be a photograph of yourself, a relative, a favourite holiday snap or help yourself to one of the many gorgeous vintage photos that you can find shared on blogland. Come along to Our Creative Corner and share the 'Memories' and you could be the winner and appear on Our Creative Corner as our 'Top Talent'



     My 'Sugar and Spice' creation today is for my daughter - she loves anything to do with memories. She regularly gets the photo albums out, eager for a trip down memory lane and loves to have a chat about things she remembers or she wants me to fill in details from my childhood album - always on the lookout for any funny stories. The name 'Sugar and Spice' is because that is one of her favourite ways to taunt her little brother by telling him she is made of everything nice whereas he is made from 'Slugs and snails' - You know the rhyme?....Well, as he declares that earthworms are his "favourite and best animal in the world" and his favourite thing is an old tatty blanket that he won't let me wash...she might have a point!

    My daughter keeps anything that triggers a memory...a day out somewhere will lead to a flower pressed in a diary, or pebbles from a beach stored on her dressing table. So I made her a delicate lacy vintage style box for her to keep those little treasures in.

     I had a paper mache box from the Range - One of the wonderful £1 boxes they sell...(I bought some more yesterday and was thrilled to find they were 50p!...I LOVE a bargain!) I covered it with French Roast Fresco paint and then applied crackle glaze.


      Over this went Snowflake Fresco paint and I watched the crackles appear. I cut up some Melange tissue wrap and applied bits of it to the box and covered it with a watered down Snowflake Fresco paint. Some script stamp was done along the sides of the box with Coffee archival ink and I dry brushed some Mocha Mousse Fresco paint around the edges of the lid and the corners of the sides. Crochet lace was used to cover the edges of the lid.

I painted a Tando diecut frame with Dark Roast Fresco paint and when dry I applied some Clear Rock Candy crackle glaze. I then rubbed some Snowflake paint over it to give white cracks.


 The word 'Memory' was applied in the centre of the frame, some copper brads were used and a pink dyed ribbon was added


      A photo of my daughter was stuck to a circle of card and glossy accents applied. This was then attached to a Tim Holtz copper pin that says 'Vintage'.

      The inside of the box was decorated with some pink floral paper from a 'Fairytale' scrapbook set I own. It is full of papers of fairytale castles and mermaids....My daughter adores the whole set.



    To add the vintage style I wanted 'feet' for the box. I was sure I had some that I had taken off a dolls house footstool that I had re-decorated. I would never have thrown them away (Ok...I admit it.... my daughter gets her hoarding from me - I never throw anything away either!) Sure enough, after a rummage through several boxes and I finally found the four tiny wooden 'feet'....


 I attached them and painted them with Snowflake fresco paint......and we have the finished box!




       My team at Our Creative Corner can't wait to see what you share with us. Dig out those photographs and have a trip down memory lane....or find a photo online and create some memories.


       Be creative with us and share a story this month at Our Creative Corner.....

             Hope to see you soon





I would like to enter the following challenges -

Simon Says - Anything goes
Vintage Stamping challenges - Pretty in Pink
Craft-dee Bowz - Anything goes with a bow
Created with love - For the girls






 Follow on Bloglovin

29 comments:

  1. Hi Laura, what a beautiful creation for your Daughter, I can just imagine her stashing away her little treasures in this wonderful box. The crackling is fantastic and the lace looks so feminine and pretty. Love the papers inside the box too. Gorgeous. Hugs, Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is soooo gorgeous! Your daughter will LOVE it! I do too :)

    Hugs,
    Claudia x

    ReplyDelete
  3. So lovely, inside and out... bet she just loves it!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is beautiful... So, so, so...
    I want one, too! :)
    Have a nice day, L!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great memory box for your daughter Laura!

    kind regards, Alie :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful memory box Laura ! Love the distressed, crackle and how you've lined the box too. A real treasure ! Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous Memory box!! Your work is just amazing.
    Your daughter is one lucky little lady!!

    Happy Crafting
    Tracie
    http://homeofthepurskey.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a neat box for your daughter - she sounds like such a lovely child and I know she will be an artist too!!
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  9. Gorgeous Memory box, I 'm sure your daughter loves it.
    Yvonne x

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is so beautiful Laura - a real keepsake and your daughter's photo makes it extra special! Love, Margie x

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is just fabulous, Laura. Love how feminine and dainty it is while still having such a yummy vintage flavor. Beautiful piece for a beautiful little girl and a super piece of eye candy for our readers to drool over!

    Hugs,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  12. A beautiful box Laura which contains so many of my favourite things! Now I can see the inside, I love it even more. The photographic 'charm' is an inspired idea. I'm sure your lovely daughter will treasure this piece for many years to come. A beautiful project.
    Hugs, Juliaxxx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yup you the best Mom, this is gorgeous and perfect for you sugar and spice girl. All the crackling is gorgeous, I looooove the frame and such a sweet pic of your angel, even the inside is so beautiful. I have to go and see what the rest of the DREAM team are doing:), thanks for sharing and have a wonderful week..

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Laura. What a beautiful treasure box for wonderful keepsakes and memories. It is stunning and I'm sure your daughter delights in it. Love the way you have 'charmed' the photograph. Cheers, Di

    ReplyDelete
  15. She is so CUTE, and this box is perfect for that face! Love the crackle and pink! Gorgeous all around!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh how special is this Laura! It will undoubtedly be a very treasured possession. Love the crackled exterior and the attention to detail even on the inside. Absolutely beautiful. Hugs, Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cute project. Thank you for joining our For the Girls challenge at Create with Love Challenges.

    ~~Chris

    ReplyDelete
  18. Your little vintage crackled box is so pretty. Love how you've done this! The bits of lace are so feminine. I love your top "Memory" assemblage and the sweet little medallion of your daughter on the front. So cute! Thanks for sharing your art with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show. <3 Candy

    ReplyDelete
  19. this is a beautiful make x
    sorry about lack of comments , playing catch up..trace x hugs x

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a little sweet box...just for a small princess. :) Very nice...

    ReplyDelete
  21. Great and beautiful memory box for your daughter Laura
    Greetings Janny

    ReplyDelete
  22. wow thats beautiful, you Daughter is going to love it! love the vintage feel! Thanks for joining us this week at Created With Love Challenges for our For The Girls Challenge!
    DawnD

    ReplyDelete
  23. aaaaaaaaaaaadorable box!!!
    It is soo beautiful in vintage and I like all details :-))
    Hugs, Andreja

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a beautifully decorated box Laura and even the inside so pretty as well.

    Thanks so much for sharing your lovely work with us at FlonzCraft Vintage Stamping Challenges.

    B x

    ReplyDelete
  25. Such a beautiful altered box, great romantic feeling. Thanks for joining us at FlonzCraft Vintage Stamping Challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  26. This is such a fabulous creation, Laura. I love the beautiful texture. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp and Show this week. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh My what a wonderful project. Your daughter will love it I know I would. Lots of work but well worth it. thanks so joining us at Created with Love Challenges.
    Linda K. DT

    ReplyDelete
  28. Wow, what a lovely keepsake box. Nicely done!

    ReplyDelete

It is always lovely to see people visiting so I would love to hear from you. Please leave a comment for me - Thank you!