Thursday 21 March 2013

Miniature Rose



    Hello everyone! Glad you are popping in to see my latest creation - A warm welcome to my new followers - So glad you are here.......

    I don't like uploading too many posts very quickly...but I wanted to enter this into the Tim Holtz Tattered Florals challenge!

       As you will know if you have read some of my previous posts - one of my craft passions is to work in miniature. The smaller the better!

     I was totally inspired by the Funkie Junkie - Linda, who last week made the most gorgeous, beautiful enamel style rose from  the Tim Holtz Tattered Rose die cuts. I think my comment left on her blog made it very clear I needed a step-by-step on how to achieve this beautiful effect (and others commented the same too) because later I got an email from Linda, very kindly pointing me in the direction of the how-to-do-it post she had put up...If you haven't seen it I really highly recommend clicking the link.

    I did try it a couple of times - It didn't really work for me at the moment The problem being that, as usual, I don't have the materials. I don't have UTEE and I don't have a melting pot. Linda explained that a melting pot wasn't essential and it can be done by just melting the embossing powder by the heat gun. I thought I could achieve the effect with normal embossing powder and then folding the petals - but of course that is bound to fail! I was struggling to get the right effect though with just normal embossing powder. It just didn't have the same enamel look and actually looked very dull.....I need practice....

    Then I had an idea - What about Glossy Accents? It gives a shiny, clear, thick enamelled look. Wouldn't it work? I didn't fancy wasting any of my precious Glossy Accents on a huge rose if it didn't work, (and in the long term a melting pot or at least a tub of UTEE is the more cost effective way) so I decided the best way to experiment was to start small......

    So I made a miniature rose out of the Tim Holtz decorative strip die - the Tattered Flower Garland. I had never tried to make such a small rose before

I used this size flower......



    I had only one in white, so I drew inside the template left by the one I had and cut out two more. I dabbed the edges with Antique Linen DI and cut out the segments.

   I then glued them together, using tweezers to be able to hold them in place. I curled the edges of the petals back with the help of a sewing needle, rolling them under slightly. Left them to dry. Then constructed the rose.

    After it was all glued together and dry, I put a blob of the Glossy Accents onto my craft mat and with a brush began coating each of the petals with quite a thick layer. Leaving it to dry I got to work on the leaves.

    Taking the smallest leaf from the die cuts, I dabbed it with Bundled Sage DI and edged with Vintage Photo DI. I then covered with a very thick layer of Crackle glaze.

   I added a picture to the pendant and covered liberally with the Glossy accents.



   Added the rose and leaves and here we have a vintage pendant......









I quite like this and I think there are possibilities of perhaps making others - It was a lot of fun to make and not as fiddly as you might think (Honest!!!) Just don't sneeze after cutting the small petals out - you may never see them again ;o)

      I perhaps might try something different next time. I think I would much rather have an image of my own creation...maybe a small painting or stamping with Distress inks. The possibilities in the Craftworld are endless aren't they?

     Thanks for being here!



I would like to enter this in the following challenges

Tim Holtz- Tattered Floral Challenge
Inspiration Journal  - Add a little P.O.P
Catered Crop - Flower Power
Crafty-emblies - Anything goes

21 comments:

  1. That's such a brilliant rose! Exactly how small is it please?
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Approx 6 x 8 mms. It is 2 cms between widest tip of the leaves. Any plans for some? ;o) xxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a delicate little rose, so perfectly formed. It looks gorgeous on the little frame. Well done too on your win for your beautiful canvas bag. Hugs, Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  4. What fantastic improvisation! You could create some more fantastic jewellery items with these. In fact you may end up taking orders!! Well done on your latest win too. Hugs, Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a beautiful little rose Laura, thank you for the pointer to the tutorial. You have inspired me to have a go. Hugs Mo x

    ReplyDelete
  6. A beautiful piece and well done on your latest win! Hugs trace x

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a beautiful little treasure, an amazing clever way to adapt and I adore the finished result!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Teeny, tiny and delicious!
    Alison x

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG, that is gorgeous. Even better than anything you can buy. I can't seem to do flowers very well. Probably because of my fingers. Seriously, yours is awesome. Congratulations on winning the Fabric Challenge prize! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so beautiful and delicate Laura - you must have really good eyes and clever fingers to make something this tiny and precious. The image of the lady is fabulous too - reminds me of an old painting. I did the UTEE dipping thing once at a workshop and it was fun but I think your rose looks much more realistic than mine did.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is lovely, you've managed to make the rose look totally vintage. Such a pretty project and wow to making it in miniature form. Such talent. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. ooooh that is soooo adorable and really beautiful xxx

    Thanks for joining us at CRAFTY-EMBLIES

    Hope to see you again for our next challenge


    Tina DT

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your rose looks absolutely gorgeous!!! Love love love it! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  14. Simply Beautiful... Hugs May x x

    ReplyDelete
  15. Gorgeous, very pretty. Thanks for joining us over at Crafty-Emblies. Karen xx(DT Member)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Oh my goodness gracious! This is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thanks for joining our Pop It challenge at Inspiration Emporium Journal Blog!

    Had to read step by step how you did this-pure lovely and oh so delicate!!!!
    ♥ Sue Kment

    ReplyDelete
  18. Not sure how I missed this Laura but suffice to say, I am in love with your gorgeous creation. Waterhouse is one of my all time favourite painters and you have one of his best images in your pendant. The roses are to die for.
    Juliaxx

    ReplyDelete
  19. So beautiful and elegant, love it. Thank you for joining in with the Crafty-emblies challenge
    Lindsay xx

    ReplyDelete
  20. Wow that is incredible. You have so much patience Thanks for joining us over at Crafty-emblies
    Liz (DT member)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful thanks for joining us at crafty emblies
    Hugs
    Marie DT member for crafty emblies
    Xxx

    ReplyDelete

It is always lovely to see people visiting so I would love to hear from you. Please leave a comment for me - Thank you!