Wednesday 20 March 2013

Little things




     Hello everyone! Welcome back and welcome to my new followers - so glad to have you here!


        This is a new one for me - I made a hanging chunky board that I bought from PaperArtsy. It is described on the website as a paper mache strong board. It is wonderful! I am buying more of these! Perfect for paints, texture paste - anything at all! It certainly can take a lot of punishment!

     I know that because this 'Little things' creation started as a project gone wrong - I did the swirls in texture paste, covered it in layer after layer of Fresco paints (including crackle glaze at one point) and after each coat of paint, I decided I didn't like it and covered it again and again....I added stamped images on tissue paper that were glued on...and nothing made it appealing to me at all.

   I tried the usual plan of coming back to it after a few days but it still wasn't right - I didn't like it at all. It made me feel worse because it is such a lovely board and I really didn't want to throw it away....so I took off the diecut flowers (to be used again) and sanded down the bits of glue that didn't want to budge - and I decided to start again. The second go was more successful.....


A coat of French Roast Fresco Paint was followed by a very thin layer of crackle glaze. Pale blue acrylic paint was sponged over the top. I love watching the crackles appear and as I hate waiting for anything, the speed at which they appear is very satisfying! I sanded down the board and added some Vintage Photo ink to the corners just to add to the vintage shabby chic look.

     



















 Then I went to town on decorations.... I love the stamp "It's the little things that make life BIG" - so I took this very literally..........



........and covered the tag with various little remnants of lace, frayed material, crochet flower, die cut flowers inked, stained and stamped. I strayed from using just my usual copper brads and reached for my collection of vintage metal brads to add to the mismatched theme I had here...a mix of faded gold and tarnished steel. I added a rose sprayed with homemade glimmer spray using Old Paper re-inker and some iridescent mica powder.


    A small glass bottle contains the words "Live, Love, Laugh" inked in Vintage Photo and stamped with some flower stamps.

























   A die cut swirl was added inked in Vintage Photo....I covered some card in Weathered Wood stain and stamped with script to create my favourite layers....The stains used on the flowers are Weathered Wood, Tattered Rose and Antique Linen.

I added glass beads and pearls...








.........basically I wanted a tatty, unorganised, shabby, messy, mismatched creation here of little bits of crafty goodies.


















       I had so much fun with this! and I could have gone and on...so many yummy little bits to add and I was sorry to stop! I still look at it and think "Perhaps just one more rose....some more beads, a pendant, some more ribbon..." But all good things come to an end and I have to allow this to be complete - before it becomes so overloaded it is a hazard to hang up!!

           So glad you are here, hope to see you next time!

                
I am entering this into the following challenge -

Fashionable Stamping Challenges - Swirls
Inspiration Journal  - Add a little P.O.P
Catered Crop  - Flower Power
Crafty-emblies  - Altered art and Papercrafts - I suppose this could be either!

30 comments:

  1. Laura I absolutely ADORE this, it was well worth all the effort and the start over!! The combination of the blue tones with the vintage browny hues just makes the whole thing pop and the way you added and grouped the flowers and other elements together looks fantastic. Love the addition of the little bottle with the added text. So glad I found your blog!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My gosh woman...you're AMAZING!! You couldn't tell that this wonderful piece of artwork tried to kick your butt, but alas...you prevailed with flying colors and crackle! ;) Absolutely beautiful paints, the textures are spot on and the embellishments made my eyes dance. GORGEOUS work here Laura!!!! Your wooden frame is also a treasure. I love all the detailed photos you always include. You're truly inspiring to me!
    hugs,
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
  3. absolutely marvleous such an amazing work - you are such a taleted artist! Love your art!
    XOXO SanDee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Laura:Thanks for visiting my blog! Your board appeals to me on so many levels - two of my fav colours blue and cream with bits of brown and rose, and all the elements put together so nicely.Really like the little note in the bottle!
    I KNOW what you mean about not being pleased and starting over...I found the acrylic colours too dark and muddy on my art canvas and after several attempts to fix, just went with it.
    That is what's so special about art - it's about listening to your heart and making it your OWN creation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Most impressed that you have been able to resurrect your board and transform it into a thing of beauty. Love the way you have piled the embellies together in a cluster so some of that wonderful background can still be seen. Hugs, Jenny x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Such an amazing tag, love the crackled background and all the details. Thanks for joining us at Fashionable Stamping Challenges this fortnight.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous layers of gorgeousness!! Your photos are brilliant and show all the great detail on your board. So pleased you just kept on going - it all works so well. Love it. x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow , wow :) Gorgeous , gorgeous :) Tfs !!
    Hugs Rebecca

    ReplyDelete
  9. The lovely thing about buying such great products is that you can re-work them and then create a stunning project like this. It is a truly beautiful piece of art. Hugs, Anne x

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow Laura ! Gorgeous project, love the words in the little bottle ! Thanks for joining us at FSC. Sue C x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for joining our March challenge at Inspiration Emporium!

    Oh so pretty-my fave part is the LLL sentiment in the bottle! Very clever!

    ♥ Sue Kment

    ReplyDelete
  12. well a jaw dropping piece of art Laura, I love, love how you crackled it, the swirls,the beautiful flowers with the glass beads fab idea, and the little bottle with my favorite saying, I love it all, thanks for sharing this very creative project and have a wonderful day..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Fabulous tag, Full of wonderful texture! Gorgeous crackled background & colours, The elements are Beautiful, Love the bottle with my fav saying!! Gorgeous work.. Hugs May x x x

    ReplyDelete
  14. A beautiful creation, just stunning! Thanks for joining over at Crafty-Emblies. Karen xx(DT Member)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Fabulous i love how you have used the bottle hun thank you for joining in the fun at Crafty-Emblies
    Seema x
    C-E DT

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow, that was well worth a second attempt, it's so lovely, and what a great sentiment you chose for it too. X

    ReplyDelete
  17. a truly beautiful creation .... stunning all round .... Crafty-Emblies now has a 'NO THEME' permanent challenge so you can enter anything you want ... altered art or card or any papercraft ... more choice for you to create what ever takes your fancy xx


    Thank you for joining us at CRAFTY-EMBLIES challenge blog

    Tina DT

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gorgeous gorgeous! Love every tiny bit here! The bottle with the words is fun. Following you! Love to see what you make next!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Beautiful hanging! Love the texture and such a great touch with those bottles! Thank you for joining us at Fashionable Stamping Challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  20. What a stunning project and using one of my fav sayings LOVE LAUGH LIVE ... I love your crackling for some reason this is something I just cant seem to be able to master, you must give me some tips :)
    Thank you for joining in the Crafty Emblies Blog Challenge
    Tracy (Crafty Emblies DT Member)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fabulous work - so beautiful. Thank you for sharing with us over at Crafty-Emblies this month. Good news is Crafty-Emblies is now an Anything goes challenge blog which encompasses all paper craft and altered art. Hope to see you join us in future challenges
    Elaine aka Ellapu CEDT

    ReplyDelete
  22. wow what a beautiful project, I'm so glad you persevered with this as the finished project is really stunning! Thanks so much for joining us at Fashionable Stamping Challenges this time
    Claire xx

    ReplyDelete
  23. A stunning piece of artwork. Thank you for joining us over at Crafty-Emblies and good luck.

    Hugs
    Linda xxx
    DT member xxx

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a stunning hanging you made! It might have taken an additional attempt to tackle it but what a result! Whoa! I love the crackle, the little vial, the flowers and the swirls...delicious make indeed!
    And I'm so glad you entered it to our Fashionable challenge! :) Big hugs xxx

    ReplyDelete
  25. This is absolutely gorgeous! I love the textures and the flowers, and I'm so glad you shared it at Catered Crop. I hope you will stop by and share with us at Word Art Wednesday (www.wordartwednesday.blogspot.com) as well. Your art is beautiful. I know everyone will want to see it!
    Blessings,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  26. Really Love what you have done here, gorgeous work! Thanks for joining in the Crafty Emblies Challenge this month! hugs, Kim Crafty Emblies DT Member

    ReplyDelete
  27. I saw this at Catered Crop and popped over for a closer look. Love it. Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  28. WOW!!! This is gorgeous! The thumbnail on Catered Crop just doesn't do it justice! So many details and I love the colors!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This is so beautiful! and so full of inspiration I had to pin it. You'll find it here -I know it's a board, but it reminds me of a tag... hope you don't mind... :) http://pinterest.com/wintam/tags

    ReplyDelete
  30. I just love this. I love all the textures and techniques you have used in this awesome piece.

    Thank you so much for coming over and joining in with out 9th Challenge over at Crafty-Emblies.

    Great Big Huge Hugs

    Becca xxx (Crafty-Emblies DT Member)

    ReplyDelete

It is always lovely to see people visiting so I would love to hear from you. Please leave a comment for me - Thank you!