Over at Sandee and amelies Steampunk Challenge this month we are focusing on -
Ravages of Time
Thinking of peeling wallpapers, rust in all its glorious forms of appearance, peeled paint, crackle, patina, weathered wood,
I started this creation with a Paperartsy substrate...they are great! They take so much punishment (I know because several times I have stripped back the layers of a creation to re-do it). This toughness comes in handy for a creation where layers and sanding come into play...
First I covered it with a coat of gesso as a primer - I wanted to use Quinacridone Gold which is transparent and would loose some of its vividness if painted directly onto the brown surface of the substrate. The white paint makes a good base for the transparent paint to shine...
When the Quinacridone Gold paint was nearly dry, I patted the substrate with the palm of my hand to remove some paint. I didn't want to wipe the surface with a cloth in case I removed too much - by patting it with my hand, I removed patches of paint and the effect was wonderful - one to remember and worth getting paint covered hands for!!!
I then covered the substrate with crackle glaze. After leaving it to dry I painted it with a thick layer of Decoart Phthalo Green-Blue Liquid acrylic paint mixed with some white acrylic paint. This formed a gorgeous turquoise.
I covered the substrate with a thick layer of this which formed wonderful crackles - revealing the rusty Quinacridone Gold and also the white patches.
When dry I sanded around the edges revealing the layers of paint and adding to the distressed peeling, aged look. I dry brushed some Raw Umber and Quinacridone Gold around the edges of the substrate.
Now was time to decorate...
I wanted to focus on time so a clock die cut seemed best....my recipe for creating rust is very simple
Dab on some Evergreen Bough DP
When dry dab on some Vintage Photo DI
Then dab on some Picket Fence DP
Then covered with Quinacridone Gold and sprinkle with Vintage Photo Distress Embossing powder when wet.
This method was used to create both the cogs and the clock surround.
The word TIME was stamped using Evergreen Bough DP. It is stamped onto pattered paper which was then cut out and had twine stuck to the ends. Twine braid was wrapped around the substrate and the word time stuck onto it.
The background was decorated with a script and text stamp - using Potting Soil Archival ink and Picket fence DP. Several stamps - the numbers, gears and quote were added using tissue paper - the stamp was stamped onto the tissue paper - the image was torn out and stuck to the substrate with Matt multi-medium.
Hope you like it! Why not come over and check out the wonderful things the rest of the team have made to inspire you!